The Bhutanese Film Industry has come a long way since the production of its first feature film “GASA LAMAI SINGYE” produced by Ugetsu Communication in 1988. This was followed by “PHAMA” produced by Pel-vision in 1995.
After a break of three long years, the first ever full-length commercial feature film “JIGDREL” produced by Norling Drayang in 1998, was an Ice-Breaker for commercial feature film making culture in Bhutan and the self proclaimed Bhutanese film Industry (yet to achieve industry status) took its first baby steps. Thereafter, within a year, eight local feature films were produced.
- 09/09/99 -The Motion Pictures Association of Bhutan (MPAB) was
established with 11 members.
- 02/05/01 -The 1st National Film Awards was instituted.
- 2001-2003 -Dzongkha Development Commission(DDC) funded (partially)
The 1st, 2nd & 3rd National Film Awards.
- 2004-2007 -Zimdra Industries provided full financial support to organize the
4th, 5th & 6th National Film Awards.
- 2008 – Onwards -the RGOB provided fund for the same activity as a regular support to this Industry with a fund of Nu. 1 million to organize the annual event.
- 02/09/2014- Registered as Mutual Benefit Organisation with Civil Society Organisation Authority of Bhutan
AIMS & OBJECTIVES of BFA
- Uphold our unique Culture, tradition and language through the medium of film.
- Encourage the growth of professionalism in the motion picture industry.
- Cultivate the usefulness and exert every influence to improve the moral, social, cultural and intellectual standing of all persons connected with the profession of motion picture.
- Cultivate social intercourse and cooperation amongst its members and any other organizations, individuals, or authorities in the interest of the motion picture industry of Bhutan.
- Facilitate, Support, protect and voice for the general interest of the association and act as the bridge between the Industry & the Government.
- Recipient of Gold Medal from His Majesty The Druk Gyalpo during the 102nd National Day. (In appreciation for our huge contribution to the National Goal of GNH).
- Bhutanese film ranking highest in the Media Impact study 2008 & the foreign media content influence study (42% for Bhutanese film over 38% for Hollywood & Bollywood put together)
- Being able to gain confidence of our local audiences & phase out foreign films without any external pressure or law & capture the prime time.
- Creating more than a 1000 jobs for our Bhutanese youths.
- Creating Platform for the talented Bhutanese youths.